In 2017, nearly 40,000 people were killed by guns in America. Gun violence is a national epidemic and a public health emergency. We’re not waiting for a good idea – we have good ideas. We’re not waiting for another tragedy – we have seen the worst human tragedies we can imagine. What’s missing is Republicans in Washington having the courage to stand up to the NRA.
Kamala Harris has a simple message: We’re not waiting any longer.
If Congress fails to send comprehensive gun safety legislation to Harris’ desk within her first 100 days as president – including universal background checks, an assault weapons ban, and the repeal of the NRA’s corporate gun manufacturer and dealer immunity bill – she will take executive action to keep our kids and communities safe.
Here are the key points of Kamala’s plan:
- Mandate near-universal background checks by requiring anyone who sells five or more guns a year to conduct background checks on all gun sales.
- Revoke the licenses of gun manufacturers who break the law (including negligence laws and unfair trade practices) and take them to court if need be.
- Reverse Trump’s dangerous change to prohibited persons guidelines which has allowed thousands of fugitives with outstanding arrest warrants to buy guns.
- Close the “boyfriend loophole” to prevent dating partners convicted of domestic violence from purchasing guns.
- Ban AR-15-style assault weapons from being imported into the United States.